Saturday, June 23, 2007

Habits of Lifelong learners

Of the habits for successful learners the last habit, "play", is probably the habit I do best. When given the time, I'll fiddle around with something until I figure it out. That's how I've learned most of what I know about arts and crafts, gardening and computers. Actually trying to do it is how I learn best. The habit I'm probably weakest at is viewing problems as challange. Sometimes if I get stuck on something, I just give up. If something doesn't force me to keep going, I not return to it for a long time. For example, many years ago I was learning to do cross stitch. I had completed all the cross stitch except for a few French knots that needed to be done. I didn't know how t0 do the French knots and the directions were confusing me. So I just stopped. That project sat uncompleted for years until one day when I came across it. In the meantime because of some other experiences, I had learned how to do French knots. I finally completed the project. Of course part of the the issue may really be I didn't have the tools or resources to help me when I came to the problem.

1 comment:

BrambleRose said...

French Knots are DIFFICULT!